This is intended to be a homage to very many musicians I've loved since I started listening to music. My intention is to tell what I know about them, hoping that those people who like them too, will help me fill numerous gaps, which I may have in their careers and discographies. Sorry, but there are no MP3 audio files here at all, just info (and love for the musicians).


Musicians Index - Bands Index - What's new - Obituaries - Guestbook - My Reviews - Books

HiStats

Monday 1 February 2010

Stretch (drums)


BANDS:
  • Marvin Gaye Band
  • Roger Chapman & The Shortlist [Feb 79-Dec 80]
  • Tom Waits Band [1979]
  • Elkie Brooks Band [1979]
  • Roger Chapman & The Shortlist [Jan 81-Sep 82]
  • Mainsqueeze [1983-1984]
  • Bo Diddley Band [1983]

BIOGRAPHY:

Fantastic drummer, his name is Leonard Stretching, but he´s known as Stretch. First I know about him is that he had been playing live with Marvin Gaye.


ROGER CHAPMAN & THE SHORTLIST


Roger Chapman was assembling a live band for promoting his brand new album Chappo. This was the superb live band, from February 1979 to March 1979, under the name Roger Chapman's Shortlist:

ROGER CHAPMAN & THE SHORTLIST #1
Feb 79-Mar 79
Roger Chapman
vocals
Clem Clempson
guitar
Tim Hinkley
keyboards
Jerome Rimson
bass
Raf Ravenscroft
sax
Stretch
drums
Helen Hardy
backing vocals
Kathi O´Donoghue
backing vocals

A killer lineup for a great artist!

More than 30 years later, a live album appeared, The loft tapes volume 1.

During March 1979, the lineup is augmented by Roger´s mate, the wonderful Bobby Tench:

ROGER CHAPMAN & THE SHORTLIST #2
Mar 79
Roger Chapman
vocals
Clem Clempson
guitar
Bobby Tench
guitar, vocals
Tim Hinkley
keyboards
Jerome Rimson
bass
Raf Ravenscroft
sax
Stretch
drums
Helen Hardy
backing vocals
Kathi O´Donoghue
backing vocals

More gigs during April 1979:

ROGER CHAPMAN & THE SHORTLIST #3
Apr 79
Roger Chapman
vocals
Clem Clempson
guitar
Tim Hinkley
keyboards
Jerome Rimson
bass
Stretch
drums
Helen Hardy
backing vocals
Kathi O´Donoghue
backing vocals

After that, Clem leaves the band.

Roger gets one of my favourite guitar players, Geoff Whitehorn, who stayed several years in Roger´s team. This lineup remained together from June 1979 to August 1979:

ROGER CHAPMAN & THE SHORTLIST #4
Jun 79-Aug 79
Roger Chapman
vocals
Geoff Whitehorn
guitar
Tim Hinkley
keyboards
Jerome Rimson
bass
Mel Collins
sax
Stretch
drums
Helen Hardy
backing vocals
Kathi O´Donoghue
backing vocals

Next step was to record a live album, Live in Hamburg includes energetic renditions of The Rolling Stones ('Let's spend the night together'), Mickey Jupp ('Short list'), and the r'n'classic ´I keep forgettin´´.

But Mel Collins leaves after the tour is over.

New recruitment is Nick Pentelow on sax. From August 79 to December 1980, this is the new, stable lineup:

ROGER CHAPMAN & THE SHORTLIST #5
Aug 79-Dec 80
Roger Chapman
vocals
Geoff Whitehorn
guitar
Tim Hinkley
keyboards
Jerome Rimson
bass
Nick Pentelow
sax
Stretch
drums
Helen Hardy
backing vocals
Kathi O´Donoghue
backing vocals
+
Micky Moody
guitar - guest in April 1980

Micky Moody guested with the band during the gigs in April 1980.

Next album was Mail order magic, recorded with these musicians: Geoff Whitehorn (guitar), Jerome Rimson (bass), John Wetton (bass), Tim Hinkley (keyboards), Poli Palmer (keyboards), Les Binks (drums), John Halsey (drums), Mitch Mitchell (drums).


TOM WAITS BAND


This is the fantastic list of British musicians that backed Tom Waits in a TV program in 1979:

TOM WAITS BAND #?
1979
Tom Waits
vocals
Clem Clempson
guitar
Tim Hinkley
keyboards
Mel Collins
sax
Stretch
drums


ELKIE BROOKS BAND


Around 1979, Elkie Brooks got Tim Hinkley as her musical director, thus assembling a great live band:

ELKIE BROOKS BAND #?
1979
Elkie Brooks
vocals
Geoff Whitehorn
guitar
Jerome Rimson
bass
Tim Hinkley
keyboards
Poli Palmer
keyboards, vibes
Duncan Kinnell
percussion
Stretch
drums

As we can see, all of them played with Roger Chapman too.


ROGER CHAPMAN & THE SHORTLIST (again)


In January 1981, the band is augmented with another very valuable addition, Steve Simpson, probably the musician who has stayed more years playing with Roger. Poli Palmer rejoins Roger (from their times together in Family in early 70s), and new bassist is legendary Boz Burrell.

ROGER CHAPMAN & THE SHORTLIST #6
Jan 81-1982
Roger Chapman
vocals
Geoff Whitehorn
guitar
Steve Simpson
guitar
Tim Hinkley
keyboards
Poli Palmer
keyboards
Boz Burrell
bass
Nick Pentelow
sax
Stretch
drums

The album in 1981 is Hyenas only laugh for fun. Recorded with Geoff Whitehorn (guitar), Steve Simpson (guitar), Jerome Rimson (bass), John Wetton (bass), Tim Hinkley (keyboards), Poli Palmer (keyboards), Nick Pentelow (sax), Stretch (drums), Alan Coulter (drums).

A new double live album is released with this lineup. Called He was she was you was we was, it includes a cover of Jimi Hendrix's ´Stone free´.

They stayed together until sometime in 1982.

New lineup until September 1982:

ROGER CHAPMAN & THE SHORTLIST #7
1982-Sep 82
Roger Chapman
vocals
Geoff Whitehorn
guitar
Steve Simpson
guitar
Poli Palmer
keyboards
Boz Burrell
bass
Nick Pentelow
sax
Stretch
drums
Mainsqueezeê


MAINSQUEEZE


Around 1983, this is the lineup for Mainsqueeze:

MAINSQUEEZE #?
1983
êRoger Chapman & The Shortlist
John O´Leary
harmonica, vocals
Victor Brox
vocals, trumpet
Eric Bell
guitar, vocals
Dave Moore
guitar
Keith Tillman
bass
Diana Wood
sax
Stretch
drums

Mainsqueeze played 3 tours backing rock legend Bo Diddley between 1981 and 1983. They released a live album, Hey Bo Diddley in concert with this lineup:

MAINSQUEEZE #?
1983
Bo Diddley
vocals, guitar
Eric Bell
guitar, vocals
Keith Tillman
bass
Dave Moore
keyboards
Stretch
drums

The band finally parted ways in 1984.


AND THEN...


Stretch also appears in some album by Rolf Harris, but I haven´t been able to know in which one.

And I don´t know anything else about Stretch. Does anybody know if he finally retired from music?

DISCOGRAPHY: (12 albums known to me - Status: Completed)

ALBUMS AS A BAND MEMBER (7 credits)
  • The Loft tapes volume 1 - Roger Chapman & The Shortlist ( - )

    • Members: Roger Chapman, Clem Clempson, Helen Hardy, Tim Hinkley, Kathi O´Donoghue, Raf Ravenscroft, Jerome Rimson, Stretch
    • Comments: Recorded in Chapman´s first solo tour, at Manchester University in March 1979.
  • Live in Hamburg - Roger Chapman And The Shortlist (08/1979)

    • Members: Roger Chapman, Mel Collins, Helen Hardy, Tim Hinkley, Kathi O´Donoghue, Jerome Rimson, Stretch, Geoff Whitehorn
    • Comments: live album.
    • My opinion: Fantastic! I love it from start to finish.
  • Hyenas only laugh for fun - Roger Chapman (1981)

    • Members: Roger Chapman, Alan Coulter, Tim Hinkley, Duncan Kinnell, Poli Palmer, Nick Pentelow, Jerome Rimson, Steve Simpson, Stretch, Geoff Whitehorn
    • Guests: John Wetton
  • He was she was you was we was - Roger Chapman & The Shortlist (1982)

    • Members: Roger Chapman, Tim Hinkley, Poli Palmer, Nick Pentelow, Steve Simpson, Stretch, Geoff Whitehorn (RIP: Boz Burrell)
    • Comments: Double live album.
  • The International blues rock revue - Mainsqueeze (1983)

    • Members: Eric Bell, Victor Brox, Rod Coombes, Dave Moore, John O´Leary, Stretch, Keith Tillman (RIP: Dick Heckstall-Smith)
    • Comments: Recorded live at Ronnie Scott´s Club in January 1983.
  • Hey Bo Diddley in concert - Bo Diddley (1986)

  • Moth to a flame - Roger Chapman (02/2001)

    • Members: Roger Chapman, Mel Collins, Alan Coulter, Helen Hardy, Tim Hinkley, Kathi O´Donoghue, Nick Pentelow, Jerome Rimson, Stretch, Geoff Whitehorn (RIP: Boz Burrell)
COMPILATIONS AS A BAND MEMBER (1 credit) ALBUMS WITH BANDMATES AND FRIENDS (2 credits)
  • Her father didn´t like me anyway - Raphael Ravenscroft (1979)

    • Members: Raf Ravenscroft
    • Guests: Vic Ash, Jeff Bannister, Geoff Britton, Jim Brown, Richard Brunton, Betsy Cook, Liam Genockey, Kuma Harada, Preston Heyman, Brian Holloway, John Huckridge, Nigel Jenkins, Bob Lamb, Julian Littman, Frank Ricotti, Maggie Ryder, Pete Solley, Stretch, Gary Taylor, Derek Watkins, Albert Wing, Steve York, Pete Zorn (RIP: Kenny Baker, Tommy Eyre, Don Lusher, Steve Waller)
  • Volume One - Hinkley´s Heroes (1999)

    • Members: Mel Collins, John Halsey, Tim Hinkley, Henry McCullough, Poli Palmer, Mick Ralphs, Steve Simpson, Bobby Tench (RIP: Boz Burrell, Mitch Mitchell, Mike Patto)
    • Guests: Joe Cocker, Kuma Harada, Neil Hubbard, Alvin Lee, Zoot Money, Micky Moody, Chrissie Stewart, Stretch (RIP: Alan Spenner, Ian Wallace)
    • Comments: Good news here! Almost 25 years later, a Hinkley's heroes album has been finally officialy released! It's called Volume one (I hope this means it will be followed by more volumes). The list of musicians appearing here is awesome. Attention to Joe Cocker appearing under the nickname Cow Chocker.
SESSIONS (2 credits)
  • Side Effect - Side Effect (1975)

    • Guests: Albert Aarons, Arthur Adams, George Bohanon, Oscar Brashear, Louis Johnson, Jackie Kelso, Ronnie Laws, Ray Parker, Jerry Peters, Joe Sample, Stretch
    • Producer: Wayne Henderson
  • Goose grease - John Gustafson (1997)

    • Members: John Gustafson
    • Guests: B J Cole, Jeff Daly, Tony Hymas, Henry Lowther, Mike Moran, Ann Odell, Stretch, Mark Warner (RIP: Barry De Souza, Morris Pert)
    • Comments: John Gustafson, apart from the singles he released in the sixties, only has a solo album, Goose grease. But the interesting story is that he recorded it in 1976, but remained unreleased until 1997, when it has been issued on CD, remastered by old fellow Ray Fenwick.
    • My opinion: It's a very interesting album, quite funky. The performances are superb, especially Mark Warner (you just have to listen to him in the track 'Cheap Astrakhan', as well as the solos on 'Boogie woogie' or 'What's your game?'). B.J. Cole is also fantastic on 'Poem about a gnome' or 'Freshness'. As I've said, the album was recorded in 1976, at Ramport Studios, London. Thanks to splendid record label Angel Air, we've been lucky to be able to listen to it.

THANKS:

Special Thanks to:
  • Phillip Wayne Slaughter: for extensive info on Elkie Brooks live lineups.

  • Thanks to:
  • Albert Dufberg: for info on Mainsqueeze.
  • Axel Reisenhofer: for info on Mainsqueeze.

  • WHAT'S NEW:

    01/February/2010 - Page added to the blog.
    07/November/1999 - Original page written by me (in the old site).

    RELATED MUSICIANS:

    Stretch mostly worked with these musicians: (name + number of credits)
    Tim Hinkley (6)
    Roger Chapman (5)
    Jerome Rimson (4)
    Geoff Whitehorn (4)
    Eric Bell (3)
    Boz Burrell (3)
    Mel Collins (3)
    Helen Hardy (3)
    Dick Heckstall-Smith (3)
    Dave Moore (3)

    Page created by Miguel Terol on: 01/February/2010 - Last modified on: 08/June/2010. If you want to contribute with info, please write to: molympus1@gmail.com

    Please, note than you can check the indexes (musicians, bands, obituaries) at the top of this page.

    15 comments:

    1. Tim Hinkley played in Vinegar Joe. With Elkie Brooks...and then as part of HER band.

      ReplyDelete
    2. His name was /is Lionel Stretching? whats he been up to lately?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. His name is Leonard Scretching and I know him very well.

        Delete
      2. Hi, Anonymous - thanks for your message. If you know him, I'd like to know what he's doing now, musically speaking. I'd like to get more info about his career, if there's a way for contacting him - please email me at molympus1@gmail.com if you can help with additional info. Thanks again.

        Delete
      3. Hi Mysterious Fan
        Sorry I was not around when you started your blog. Just thought I let you know that you have left out a large number of artists, & celebrities in music and film. But that’s Ok! Over the years there have been many seriously good contributions. I just wish I could do it all over again.
        [Just to let you know some real history]
        I have been playing since I was 3 and turned pro when I was 6. Because of this I have worn some of the joints that help to make it all happen. Thanks to people like yourself, this will help others to gain something, even a chance to contact another fellow musician to see how he or she’s doing.
        Yes …You guessed it,
        I am ‘Stretch’ …I’m Well & Doing Fine!!!
        God Bless!

        Delete
      4. Hi, Stretch! Thanks for writing. It's 14 years since I first wrote my page on you, back in 1999, but I haven't been able to find credits about you since Mainsqueeze. I've been in contact with several of your past bandmates, and they all agree about how great you are. I'm also sure they'll like to know that you're well and doing fine. Again, if you wish to contact me privately, you can write me at molympus1@gmail.com.
        Of course, I haven't been able to cover so many great musicians, but I try to... if you take a look at my list of musicians to cover, I probably won't be able to cover 10% of them in my whole life. Some pages take me weeks to complete (and some others have taken me several months of research). I wish I could have more free time to dedicate to it, but all in all, I've covered more than 500 musicians (old and new website). And even if I'm slow, I keep on doing it.
        Thanks for all your music and best regards from Miguel (webmaster).

        Delete
      5. Have to contribute a little here: I met Stretch in (I think) 1973, just after he'd finished touring Europe with the Curtis Brothers. As a bass player, I was invited to audition for a project he had going with a remarkable guitarist (also from the Curtis Bros band) called Ibacus (Stretch - did I spell that right?). After years of playing rock and pop, I thought I was pretty good, until I stood next to these guys - bloody hell, I wasn't even on the same planet as these dudes.

        But I was lucky, I guess, because Stretch took me under his wing. I'm very grateful to him because, under his mentorship, I think I improved enormously, not just in my playing but my understanding of what music is, how cultural differences can interact and add to each other, how to be professional on tour and in the studio, and perhaps most importantly, how to improvise - for I will tell you that he was at his most astonishing when we jammed all night in a rehearsal studio in Chelsea. I've seen, heard and played with a lot of drummers in my time, but little came close to the fluidity and mastery Stretch had over his instrument, and the way he could respond instantly to subtle currents, musical hints, clues and directions that only after a couple of years did I start to pick up on. Truly, these were some of the best years of my life, and although I believe my debt was largely repaid, I still find he was the most profound and positive influence on my entire musical career.

        By the way, among the many things we did together, a couple of things deserve mention here; Stretch and I played in Ken Elliott's Seventh Wave, first in the UK at the legendary Marquee club, then on tour in the US in 1976. And the rehearsal studio in Chelsea where we jammed all night, every night, for a year, was owned by the astonishing Peruvian jazz guitarist Mano Ventura, who Stretch played with a great deal (being the only drummer who could keep up, I suspect).

        My best regards to you Stretch. And my love.

        Graham

        Delete
    3. Indeed he was a great drummer, I remember my grandfather telling me about him. He love how he played. Great article.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Was ???
        I still am.
        Thanks for your Kind words.

        Delete
      2. Hi Stretch...This is J King. If you know the name, please contact me at madamej02@yahoo.com. I've stayed in touch with Spruill, Kenerly, Wright, January, Gilstrap and a few others. Would love to catch up. Seventh Wave and Maxine Nightingale were the last gigs before losing contact with you. Peace

        Delete
      3. Hey Stretch, Trying again to make contact with you. Please get back to me.Saw a video with you and Roger Chapman. You were wearing that signature apple with studs! U, me and Augie had them. Would love to hear from you. Young Saint.

        Delete
    4. Just a small point, but Mainsqueeze worked with Bo Diddley on two European tours during 1984 and not as stated above.

      kEEP ROCKIN'

      ReplyDelete
    5. Have to contribute a little here: I met Stretch in (I think) 1973, just after he'd finished touring Europe with the Curtis Brothers. As a bass player, I was invited to audition for a project he had going with a remarkable guitarist (also from the Curtis Bros band) called Ibacus (Stretch - did I spell that right?). After years of playing rock and pop, I thought I was pretty good, until I stood next to these guys - bloody hell, I wasn't even on the same planet as these dudes.

      But I was lucky, I guess, because Stretch took me under his wing. I'm very grateful to him because, under his mentorship, I think I improved enormously, not just in my playing but my understanding of what music is, how cultural differences can interact and add to each other, how to be professional on tour and in the studio, and perhaps most importantly, how to improvise - for I will tell you that he was at his most astonishing when we jammed all night in a rehearsal studio in Chelsea. I've seen, heard and played with a lot of drummers in my time, but little came close to the fluidity and mastery Stretch had over his instrument, and the way he could respond instantly to subtle currents, musical hints, clues and directions that only after a couple of years did I start to pick up on. Truly, these were some of the best years of my life, and although I believe my debt was largely repaid, I still find he was the most profound and positive influence on my entire musical career.

      By the way, among the many things we did together, a couple of things deserve mention here; Stretch and I played in Ken Elliott's Seventh Wave, first in the UK at the legendary Marquee club, then on tour in the US in 1976. And the rehearsal studio in Chelsea where we jammed all night, every night, for a year, was owned by the astonishing Peruvian jazz guitarist Mano Ventura, who Stretch played with a great deal (being the only drummer who could keep up, I suspect).

      My best regards to you Stretch. And my love.

      Graham

      ReplyDelete
    6. Stretch! If you're checking in from time to time, shout-out! Been trying to reach you. J King/California

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yo - Hello, 'J King', Nice of you to keep things going, & I do appreciate your efforts. Also, I hope you are well & keeping away from that Covid Fella!!
        My girls & I are well. It's really good of you, and people like you, who help keep Great Memories alive. My plans are to 'Somewhat' retire next year.
        So, I will be getting in touch, as I plan to write about my journey, hopefully, from top to now. As I started when I was 3 years & turned professional when I was 6 - ...Man, it's been an Amazing time, from suitcase to stage for what feels like 'Forever' ...I would give anything to do it all again!
        Keep Safe!
        Stretch

        Delete

    Blog Archive